Sunday, September 2, 2012

Home Start

There was a quote I learned from psychology class that paraphrased to the idea only by having a safe home to go back to can a child feel free to explore the world. It makes sense, therefore, the first part of my wandering requires paying a visit to family and friends who have brought me to who I am today.

A few days after my official last day at the Via Christi Family Medicine Residency, I packed my bags for the suburb of St. Louis where my mom lives. It was a treat from God that my aunt, cousin, and my sister also chose to go at that time, so we had a rare reunion of three pairs of sisters. Oh, the dramas and shopping sprees that ensued.... There is something about being around family you haven't seen in a while. Despite thinking you've grown up, old habits and feelings tend to ruthlessly surface when deep patterns of interaction exhibit themselves, as if routinely. If I were not careful to remind myself of who I've become, I would easily fall back into my seventeen-year-old self, and that's just not productive in any aspect.

Being with family also forced me to see my faults and to see how narrowed my worldview has become since I started medical school. My family's mission to revamp my wardrobe was just the tip of the iceberg. The week challenged me to reevaluate who I am at this point in life, in light of where I've come from, hopefully to guide where I'll go from here.




No comments:

Post a Comment